What kind of trouble can my protagonist get into? What can complicate her story? These are just ideas, not sure which ones I’ll use.
- Dating a bad boy.
- Telling off her disrespectful history teacher.
- Skipping school.
- Getting drunk at a party.
- Staying out all night and not calling home.
- Has sex, gets pregnant.
- Has sex, then her asshole boyfriend breaks up with her.
- Takes her mother’s car without permission.
- Nasty sunburn.
- Morning sickness.
- STI scare.
- Whiplash from a car accident.
Acts of god:
- Power outage spoils all the food in the fridge.
- A tree falls on the family’s only vehicle.
- Her mother gets breast cancer.
- Left the girls’ room with skirt tucked into underpants.
- Pulled on her jacket to free it from the big guy sitting on it. He got up and she gives herself a black eye because she was pulling so hard.
- Minor fender bender with mom’s car.
- Sits down on a tack, held on her seat by another student at a school-wide assembly.
The ugly truth:
- 17 and pregnant, she must make some important life choices.
- She learns that she does need her mother.
- When she reunites with estranged biological father, she learns she has three younger siblings, half brothers and sisters.